Tourist Information Center Partnership Project

The Museum of History of Buryatia named after M. Khangalov


Buryat Republic
Republic of Buryatia, Ulan-Ude, ul. trade Union, 29
Phones: +7 (3012) 21-40-08
Web site:
The Museum of History of Buryatia is one of the oldest museums in Siberia, the same age as the Republic and one of the branches of the National Museum of Buryatia.
The Museum's collection includes about 45 thousand items — a rich archaeological collection of the bronze, iron, medieval and Hunnu periods.


A unique collection of old Buryat paintings, which is distinguished by a bright identity. Despite the strict canonical framework in iconography, Buryat masters brought to their works the features of local color and the realities of earthly existence.

The most valuable in terms of uniqueness and Museum significance among the Museum's collections is the "Atlas of Tibetan medicine", which is a set of 76 tables made in the tradition of easel Tibetan painting and illustrating the medieval medical treatise"Vaidurya-onbo".


The Museum of the history of Buryatia named after M. N. Khangalov was founded in 1923 by the decree of the Buryat revolutionary Committee. Prior to this, attempts to create a Museum in Verkhneudinsk (formerly Ulan-Ude) were made repeatedly. Since 1911, a small Museum of antiquities operated, and in July 1918, the "society for the study of the Baikal region" was created, which aimed to study the nature, history, economy and culture of the region. The materials collected by the "Society" made it possible to make a decision to open a local history Museum, but the outbreak of the civil war thwarted these plans. In 1920, The "society for the study of the Baikal region" resumed its work. In June 1921, on the basis of an exhibition dedicated to the Congress of the commissioners of the United Baikal Union of cooperatives, the efforts of all cultural organizations in Verkhneudinsk opened the Baikal regional Museum, which operated until 1923. In 1923, the Buryat exhibition Committee was established to prepare the exposition for the all-Russian agricultural and handicraft-industrial exhibition. The exhibits have been collected in all provinces of the Republic.
After the formation of the Buryat-Mongolian ASSR as part of the RSFSR, real steps were taken to create a local history Museum in the capital. The result of these measures was the decision of the Burrevkom of October 10, 1923 on the organization of the Buryat-Mongolian national Museum.
In 1958, in connection with the 100th anniversary of the famous Buryat scientist, ethnographer and educator M. N. khangalov, the Museum was named after Him.
From 1978 to 1990, the Museum was part of the Buryat state United historical, architectural and art Museum, and after the reorganization of the United Museum in 1990, it became known as the M. N. Khangalov Museum of the history of Buryatia during this period on the basis of stock collections.