Tourist Information Center Partnership Project

Государственное учреждение культуры Краснодарского края «Краснодарский государственный историко-археологический музей-заповедник им Е.Д. Фелицына»


Krasnodar Krai
Гимназическая ул., 67, Краснодар, Краснодарский край, 350910
Phones: +7 (861) 262-40-86
Web site:
The main Museum of KubanThe oldest cultural institution and one of the first museums in the North Caucasus. Exhibitions and excursions will introduce you to the history and culture of the peoples of the Caucasus and Russia.


Currently, the Krasnodar Museum is located in one of the most beautiful buildings of the capital of Kuban - an architectural monument of the late XIX century, the house of merchants Bogarsukovs. The E. D. Felitsyn Museum-Reserve is the owner of tens of thousands of exhibits, which are the most valuable artifacts collected over more than 140 years on the Kuban land. The permanent exhibition introduces visitors to the diverse nature of the region and the historical past of the peoples who have lived here since ancient times. The museum has the richest collections, first of all archaeological (the world's largest collection of ancient amphorae, a huge lapidary collection) and ethnographic, known to specialists and lovers of antiquities all over the world. The scientific library and the rare book collection of the museum-reserve are widely known.


The museum traces its history back to the Kuban Military Ethnographic and Natural History Museum, which was founded in 1879 under the Kuban Regional Statistical Committee by the regional historian, military foreman Yevgeny Dmitrievich Felitsyn (1848-1903). Contemporaries called Felitsyn "the encyclopedia of the Caucasus", "a living chronicle". He perfectly knew the history and geography of the region, archeology and ethnography, cartography, studied geology, botany and mineralogy.

The first exhibits of the museum were gifts, donations of the population and personal collections of E. D. Felitsyn on archeology and ethnography. On their acquisition, Felitsyn spent his small salary, often getting into debt. The museum owes him one of the world's best collections of stone "Polovtsian" sculptures, which he brought on carts from all over the Kuban region. In the first year alone, the collection totaled 276 items in archaeology and 42 items in ethnography.

In 1977, on the basis of the Krasnodar Local History, Anapa and Temryuk local history museums, the museum of the Stepanov family in Timashevsk, the archaeological monuments "Ancient City of Gorgippia" in Anapa and the ancient settlement "Hermonassa-Tmutarakan" in Taman. Later, it included the house-museum of M. Y. Lermontov and the archaeological Museum in Taman. In November 1990, the museum-reserve was named after its founder – Yevgeny Dmitry Felitsyn.